Wednesday 27 August 2014

SICK MIND PRODUCTIONS GOES TO SUMMER SLAUGHTER 2014

It just wouldn’t be the same without the smell of piss and garbage lingering the alleyways as sirens scream in the distance buried among the murmur of the Downtown Eastside; I have found myself in this corner of the city many times before, but this time it was different.  A camera slung around my shoulder and Estaben Cruz to my side, we rounded the corner to the back door of the most prestigious of them all - The Rickshaw.

Thanks for tuning in, my name is Carly Redford and here is your latest Sick Mind Production.

Some people say things happen for a reason, and some believe that things in life happen by chance.  Well my friends, let me say this - for some incredibly divine reason, the one day that I was hoping to execute a live video shoot of The Hallowed Catharsis, was the one day they were looking for someone to do it.  Call it what you will, but its like it was meant to be.

We started our evening at 4:30 pm; the deep summer sun beat the sidewalks releasing the sweat and flavours of the Chinese markets as we walked passed, our senses infested with the foreign aromas. Approaching the back door of the venue, I could feel a sense of excitement and passion - a feeling I have missed.  I was ready for what this night had to offer and I had no idea what that was going to be.

6:00 pm and camera’s were set up ready to go - sound check.  I could feel the sweat of the busied bodies soaking the air scrambling to finish last minute details.  But It wasn’t long before the desolate space was filled with sweaty long hair, pig squeals, and more metal than I was prepared for.

The Hallowed Catharsis ignited the Slaughter with just the right amount of bubbles… literally.   What I love about THC: their sound is f**king insane; compiled of intricate bridges, ear smashing riffs and heavy drops artfully put together to keep you on edge.  Frantic and venomous, THC has an explosive style.  Despite having introduced two new members to the band, all the personality and intensity the band is known for wasn’t missed bringing everything they had to offer.  After the show I met up with the band out back to ask them a few questions.  

Next up was Neck of the Woods -another up and coming Vancouver metal band.  These guys not only brought edge but their good looks too.  This was my first time seeing them live and I would definitely go back for more - huge drops, crushing bass lines, and an epic guitar solo is all I need to be hooked.  It was the right amount of heavy with just a dash of sexy in the melodies; this band has a sound that will appeal to many.  I had the chance to talk with Dave and Jeff from the band after the show, watch the interview here.

The last set I watched was Archspire, and by serious recommendation of Kyle Bains (THC) and now I can see why.  These guys rocked the f*ck out.  Honestly I can’t even put into words what they sound like, pretty much go here and you’ll understand.

The night had come to a close for me; it was time to make the journey home.  As Estaben and I made our way to the station, I began to think about what had happened.  This night for me meant a lot of things, but mostly it reminded me of the importance of staying true to your passions.  Without passion we lose the motivation to succeed and break our own boundaries, create goals, and strive for better.  Sometimes I think I see the industry through rose coloured glass; but when I meet the brave souls plunging into the deepest sea of uncertainty with only hope and a dream, I am reminded - this is not just an industry, but a world of Sick Minds running wild.



No comments:

Post a Comment