Tuesday 16 April 2013

Open Mic Nights Are Like a Blank Canvas...

          "An open mic performance is like a a painter with a blank canvas; the performers are the paint colors, the evening is the blank canvas, and the individual styles are the brush strokes used to create something unique."  

          To start off my week I accepted an invitation and dropped in at Mr.Brownstone on Main and 13th last night for an open mic night hosted by a couple of totally rad dudes I have recently met.  Instead of working away endless hours in front of the computer, I threw the open toed pumps and grabbed the Canon to share  something cool and intriguing with you; maybe influence you to check out something new.  
          Open mic nights are always a surprise, so I wasn't sure what to expect once I arrived.  The venue it's self is fantastic for the environment, welcoming and just the right amount of casual and sophisticated, Mr.Brownstone is a supreme spot for this kind of vibe.  Getting comfortable, I grabbed myself a A Main Street Pilsner and I joined some fellow students, including musician Phillip Anthony, who to my surprise was on the list of performers for the evening along with Cory Owens, the coordinator of open mic night every Monday at Mr.Brownstone along with Alex Mandy.  As I took a seat I knew I had surrendered to what the night had in store; this was going to be the most unpredictable live set I had seen in a while.
           It didn't take long to sink into the luminous blue lights and raw music of the evening.  The first performer of the evening welcomed me into the wholesome mood of the night with a delicate acoustic serenade of Jet Plane grandly accompanied by the refrain of a melodic crowd creating a simply whimsical and warming performance.  To follow was regular guest and performer Phillip Anthony.  Already familiar with his style and a fan from first listen, this live performance made me even more excited to see what this artist has in store for the future.  Rich vocals and deep rhythmic guitar filled the room with a gracious energy.  Humanistic and down to earth, Phillip truly captured the genuine style of the evening, setting a comfortable stage for many to come.
          As the music played throughout the evening, a variety of passionate musicians played for a generous audience, bringing these music fans on a journey of intrigue.  It is these small performances that make you realize the true purpose of music. It's meant to be organic and intimate, sharing not only the music, but the tone and emotion of something an artist has created.  These are the opportunities that fans should take to discover something real and unique. Being the music fan I am, I thrive on these types of personal experiences because its distinct, something that can't be re-created.      
          So if you find yourself free on a Monday night, and your musical ear is feeling adventurous visit Cory and Alex at Mr.Brownstone from 8:30 - 12:00 for a low key night filled with musical wonder.   

 Carly June

No comments:

Post a Comment