Tuesday 18 June 2013

7 Days of Open Mic - Day 1: Mr.Brownstone



Despite being fashionably late, I thankfully made it to Mr.Brownstone just on time last night to be welcomed by the sensational swooner Cory Owens- the nights first performer and part coordinator of the open mic along with friend and colleague Alex Mandy. After what was a busy day of live music here at Brownstone this past Sunday for these two fine guys during Car Free Day on Main Street, the vibe of the night was warmly calm, a great way to unwind from a Monday at the office- or in my case a long day of video editing.

So in order to capture the true moments throughout the week I've decided to write my articles as for this tour and the evenings unfold, artist by artist.  So there I was, window side to Main Street and rhythmically serenaded by Owens performance -which I must say has become a personal favorite lately, and it was great way to start the evening. 
Nash


Following Owens intimate opening performance was guitarist and six month regular attendee Nash, who after his harmonic and dexterous performance,  I had to make the chance to sit down and talk with him.  A focus for the week ahead of me is to talk to artists to get a better understanding of their view of open mic performances; what it means to them and their music.  A truly genuine and soft spoken individual, Nash responded with some great and valuable points that even I never really paid much attention to, or even thought of for that matter.  He made the comment that most of the time if not all times, your audience at an open mic is mainly other artists, even more so artists waiting for their chance to perform.  I can understand the struggles with this; you are playing in front of an audience who isn't their for an artist or to even really discover new music, but this is an audience that is there because they simply enjoy music and the performances of the unknown.  But lets not forget to mention the unspoken critique that must linger silently throughout the musical minds in the room.  This made me think about the question "how do you build an audience in an environment such as this"? Nash then proceeded with his performer input by adding that "the hardest part about playing at an open mic is that you're in and then you're out".  Yet another idea that hadn't really dawned on me until it had been brought to my attention this very moment; raising even more question.  How can you captivate an audience within such a short window of opportunity, especially when the audience is heavily musician based?  
Jacqueline Dawn

Sitting down with Nash and having the opportunity to talk to a skillful musician such as himself only excites me for the days ahead and it gives me a better understanding of the artists who chose to get on stage in front of an audience despite the uphill battle for recognition they face.  A true artist when paired with a guitar, this was a performance and an individual I highly recommend to any music enthusiast looking for something to check out on a Monday night, but if you don't get the chance to visit his live performance at Brownstone (an in that case shame on you!) be sure to listen to his music here - you won't be disappointed.

Klim Levine
As the night carried on I was introduced to a story book of guitar; a humble fellow by the name of George whom carried the night along with a calming performance, blanketing the evenings bustling conversations and laughs, all native to the open mic experience at Brownstone; this was an unrefined and raw performance- a true resemblance of an open mic.  

Next on stage, and frequent attendee was Jacqueline Dawn.  Familiar to many of the intimate performance venues throughout Vancouver, Dawn knows how to serenade a room with her soothing rasp and graceful melodies.  Accompanied by Klim Levine on saxophone, their sexy and understated rendition of Marvin Gaye's "Lets Get it On" truly captured the amorous vibes of the room, bringing a seriously luscious and warm hearted attitude to the remainder night.  Closing out the set with her signature tone by performing a light and airy version of Bobby McFerrin's classic Don't Worry Be Happy honestly proves this solo artists versatility and ability to take a paramount song and make it her own.  If you are looking for the perfect soundtrack to share a bottle of wine to or have a soothing solo night in, be sure to visit Jaqueline's music here.

Cory Owen, Jacqueline Dawn, Blake
As the night came to a close Blake, yet another regular to the open mic night, stormed the stage with his Cash inspired style.  One performance I remember in particular was his original "One More Shot of Whiskey" which I can only label as the perfect neighborhood pub anthem for every Friday night.  Blake being one of the many good humored individuals of the night, that when I asked him about the open mic at Brownstone and his experiences there he responded with "Cory and Alex kick ass every time I see them; I give them a 5 out of 5".  Further into our table talk, I also learned that this savvy southern inspired musician happens to be a part of Vancouver based band The Godspot, which if you are looking for something dismally different, I encourage you to check out the band's Soundcloud here.

To summarize my first night of the open mic tour, I must say that kicking off at Mr.Brownstone was the perfect choice; a classic night full of good friends, laughs, and of course music.  Though I haven't mentioned every act from last night's open mic, I can reassure you I was pleasantly surprised by the talent that Cory and Alex have managed to bring out to the open mic on a regular basis and I'll be sure to come back to see these talented gems once again.  It is clear that the friendly and welcoming environment of Brownstone and Owen's and Mandy's good humored and hard to ignore MC skills create a a comfortable and welcoming evening open to any and every musician or fan.  
Cory Owens, Alex Mandy

Night one down and six more to go, whats going to happen next I don't know.  Going to take it as it comes, learn a little bit and then some.

Thanks for tuning in, hope to see you again,

Carly June.

UPDATE: Moments after completing this blog for publish, Mr. Alex Mandy informed me that shortly after I left for the night a well intoxicated crowd of 25 friends showed up to Mr.Brownstone which then ended the night with an improv dance party...  Unfortunately I missed the chaotic fun, but on another note, simply proof of the good times to be had here at Brownstone on a Monday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment