Friday 21 June 2013

My "BESTiE" Sunday Ever

Like hundreds of other Vancouverites, I made sure to check the Car Free Day on Main Street this past Sunday, June 16th.  Now, I've realized since moving here to Vancouver this past January from my small hick town, that there are an endless number of festivals and celebrations hosted throughout the city streets, and that this next year of my life will be full of "first times"; this event was exactly one of those experiences.

I joined the bustling crowds at around two in the afternoon, starting my cultural exploration at the base of the action- Broadway and Main.  As I began to linger amongst the busied blocks of Main, I could see any and everything possible from food to clothes, crafts and paintings, beer gardens and busied pubs.  Despite the hundreds of attractions and distractions, I knew what I came for and that was the music.

3:30 at 15th and Main, sun shinnin' and sippin' cider as I wait for BESTiE to hit the Phillips Brewing stage.  Just one of the many changes in my life since moving to this city has been my taste in music, and if that hadn't happened I would have never exposed myself to what I can admittedly praise as a fundamental to my summer 2013 sound track.  Tristan, Daniel, Rob, and Andrew emanate an upbeat feel good vibe perfect for hangin' out in the summer time.  After reading their quick band bio on their bandcamp - "BESTIE are a band whose influences are summer, ice cream, the beach, girls, floating down a river in an inner tube,
high fives and heart break." - I knew I had captured this band's true essence through their music, bringing me over to the sunny side of life.

Only a few short hours after their Main Street performance, I was on my way to the Colbalt to see the band once again; I know what you must be thinking "the same band in one day?!" I know.  But I must say that even though I had seen the same set twice I was still all over it; I couldn't stand still!


If  I had to describe the band, I would say their sound is a combination of surfer punk and ska with a dash of Hawaiian sunlight, coming together to develop a genuinely upbeat and intoxicating dance arrangement sure to spice up any pool party.  If you haven't checked out the band's music yet go here and give their latest single "Pineapple" a listen- I'd like to see you try and sit in your seat the whole song through.

No comments:

Post a Comment