Sunday 23 June 2013

7 Days of Open Mic - Day 5: The Jimi Hendrix Shrine P.1


Let me start off with admitting that this was one of the best experiences I have had since moving to Vancouver, and that sure says a lot. Before I get into the stories ahead, I will need to give you some back story.  When I heard about the "show" at the Jimi Henrix Shrine this past Tuesday when I first met Paul Barnetson and Matteayus Moon at the Libra Room live jam session, I had somewhat of an idea what the night was going to entail, but when I arrived at 5:30 those ideas had been completely thrown to the wind and I was in yet another unpredictable situation - which I believe has been a consistent theme throughout the past week.  Walking through the iron gates into the beautifully vegetative and quaint space for the first time, I realized that I was about to witness a rock show in the iconic memorial room no bigger than a 12' x 12' box.  So now you must be thinking exactly what I was thinking at the time; "damn this is going to be loud".

The evening was laid at as follows: acoustic performances from 5:30 pm to 9:00 pm outside behind the shrine in the welcoming garden, and the rest of the evening to be a live rock jam session.  Originally I was there to check out the show and then leave to attend my pre scheduled open mic location at the Wired Monk in Kits, but once the music got under way, there was no way I was missing what was about to unfold in one of Vancouver's most musically spiritual locations.

Being oblivious to what's known in the musician world as rock o'clock, I spent the first couple hours exploring the memorabilia within the shrine and talking to the other early comers and familiars new and old to the attraction, learning the history and the nature of the memorial.  Within the small space are numerous photos, quotes of information, and displays walking you through the childhood and fan-ship of the iconic guitar master Jimi Hendrix. I have to say, its an experience visiting this place; there is a vibe, a significant energy to the area which every musician I managed to talk to had a paramount sense respect for.  I have never been one to go to church or warship a figure, but if I was going to pay my respects to any high power it was here at the Shrine among a collection of talented musicians honoured to play within these spiritual walls. If you aren't familiar with the history of the building or the area, be sure to check it out here or see it in the flesh on the corner of Union Street and Main in East Vancouver.  

Gandering back and forth between the conversations inside and the acoustic music in the garden outside, the faint smell of sweet weed smoke and smoky incense lingered in the air underneath the warmth of the sun, breaking up the past few days of rain, adding an extra touch of authenticity; I think Jimi would be proud.  To start the music of the evening was an outstanding classical guitar performance setting the mood of what was to become a righteous night.   Dressed head to toe in true Hendrix authenticity this performer was well put together with a gold and black sequence jacket, jeans, topped with a purple feather accented black hat;  this man truly knew how to make a classical guitar into one bad ass instrument; having the musicianship of a truly unique artist and setting a high standard for any others I will see play the same instrument in the future.

Following the intimate performance was the ear catching tune "No More Hard Times" by the easy going duo of Paul Barnetson and Mitchell Dennis.  From what I am told is a new collaboration of music for the two, I have seen that these two are always providing a catchy acoustic experience.  After talking to these lively young artists, I learned they have a goal to bring crisp and fun loving music to the music industry, accompanying their "always having a good time" attitude.  As Dennis said it best, "we just want to write catchy feel good music that people want to listen to".  With their yet to be recorded and released tracks, I promise you'll be feelin' the good vibes by the end of just the first song; even still waking up this morning, I can hear the upbeat faint hymns deep in the back of my mind.  I am genuinely excited to see what these two have in store for the future because it is clear that there is something these two are creating that could seriously appeal to the masses.


Up next to serenade the gathering crowd was a traditional but zesty combo of mandolin and upright bass.  Shame on me for not remembering these two folk musicians names (in the picture to the side), but I can assure you that they none the less provided another dynamic sound to the event, broadening the musical experience of those listening.  The rock portion of the night hadn't even gotten under way yet and I had already experienced a variety of impressive and enlightening performances from musicians of all walks of life.  Really at this point I was wondering what was to come next.      

Before the move to the inside of the Shrine, a crowd of roughly forty to fifty people had gathered outside to enjoy the variety of musicians the event had drawn out.  Despite being amongst all entirely new faces, this didn't change the fact that each individual there had a real love music.  I believe that music brings people together and builds community no mater who you are and where you are from, and having the opportunity to be apart of a crowd that's singing, dancing, drumming along, or simply listening peacefully together is an experience that only those who are familiar can appreciate. 

As the sun began to set, the second half of the night was about to kick off; with beers all around, the crowd began to pack inside for the rock show which we were all here and waiting for.  Cramming into the cluttered cultural space, which was lined with more guitars and amps (including a set of white Marshall stacks) than the room was meant to handle, I could feel the energy building for the show ahead.  Camera in hand and Budweiser in the other the first electric guitar strum of the night was rattling the floor beneath me, ringing in my ears.  It was about to begin, I could feel it in my bones that I was about to get rocked.

And this where I leave it friends until Part II, I know such a tease right?!  You're just going to have to come back for more.  

This is Carly June, I hope to see you here again soon to finish my story of the Jimi Hendrix Shrine underneath last nights full moon.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment