Wednesday 19 June 2013

7 Days of Open Mic - Day 2: The Libra Room

Moon
Notebook and camera in hand I waltzed into the Libra Room at 9:30 pm last night greeted by buzzing conversations, flickering candle lights, and swanky blues rifts which filled the intimate space; all the subtle details the Libra Room is typically known for.  I was here exactly one week ago and was captivated and I knew I had to come back to this stage on the tour in search of a particular artist (whom I will mention shortly).  It was this performance that brought me back, and not only did I get exactly what I was looking for, I found myself surprised, entertained, and questioned with a little bit extra.

When I arrived at The Libra Room last night I thought I knew what I was in for but that definitely was not the case.  Sitting down with a dear friend of mine front and center, it came to my attention that this wasn't a typical open mic night, but as I later learned a live jam session.  How is this unique you ask?  Well this is how it works...

Every Tuesday night the Libra Room hosts this live jam session with the same house jazz band each week, but the stage is still open to performers.  The idea is to allow other musicians and or singers to join the band on stage to perform with a full band ensemble, but still sticking to to bluesy jazz roots of the venue.  Though open mics allow consistent and sometimes drastic changes capturing dynamic tastes throughout the evening, the idea of having one consistent band to feature certain artists is an idea I can really get behind.  Why?  Because it creates a mood that is drawn out throughout the evening, something that open mics often jeopardize because of the frequent change in performances and styles versus having a familiar band that maintains a sound and feel throughout the evening, building a more comfortable environment that enables a sensual flow to any conversation.  Admittedly I was disappointed to start, but once I realized the potential in this I couldn't wait to see the result.

I noticed very quickly that this is very much a late night neighborhood hangout which gives the Libra Room the vibe that is has.  Now I am not a regular either, so I could be going out on a limb with the following rant shall we say, but  I think that it is safe to say that the next performer of the night wasn't familiar with the low key energy of the Libra Room's Tuesday night jam session.  In the beginning I was jaw dropped - blown away, by the end of this artists set I had had an overload of lead singer syndrome that I must say borderline ruined the entire performance.

Paul
Before I get into it, I will agree that this man was an incredible musician and it was obvious he had experience on the big stage because he sure knew how to capture a crowd musically and physically speaking.  Hammering out eighties-esque ballad solos and dripping with sweat beneath the golden lights, this one man prodigy had no problem flaunting his talent or his ego; if I've ever seen anyone have sex on stage with their guitar it was this moment right here.  In essence this doesn't sound like a bad performance, and it really wasn't, but for where he was on a Tuesday night I have to say it was excessively over done.
When an artist knows they are better than their competition is one thing, but it is how the artist carries themselves amongst those around them; just because you may be the best or one of the best musicians in the room doesn't mean you have to flaunt it underneath the spotlight.  Though this almost pushed me out the door, I knew I had to stay for the one reason I came - Moon.
Moon

My first night at the Libra Room was Tuesday June 11th and I will never forget it because a) it was my 20th birthday and b) this traditional classic rock musician, whom I now know as Mattaeyus or "Moon" which is his artist name, rocked out a soulful and heavy hitting version of one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs "Since I've Been Loving You".  I knew I was hooked and I had to come back for more; to get a chance to talk to the one and only Moon.

After his zesty set of rock n' roll blues, I patiently waited outside for him to finish with friends and the doe eyed girls; I could see his potential fame already.  Thanks to familiar face Jacqueline Dawn I had my chance, so I took my opportunity to ask Mattaeyus a few questions about these types of performances and how it helps him as an artist.

"Its a good time to practice as a musician who often plays alone. I think it is important to play with other artists to learn how to communicate musically and to be able and know how to work with other people"

After listening to Mattaeyus thoughts on this, I could see his dedication to his music, his understanding of furthering musical ability, and his thirst to become a great artist.  Everything he had to say were all arguments and points I have stated in the past, so I can relate and appreciate his input.  For him, I felt it wasn't about the attention it brought him, but the experience and the learning that came along with these small stage performances.  These are the types of artist I strive to work with, those who are dedicated to their career and their dream but are always willing to expand and improve on their skills.  Mattaeyus is an artist that I believe in and I can see having potential to achieving some level of success in the future and I hope that I can bring him an opportunity to help him further his career.  Check out his music here and give it a listen.

After a few shared laughs, stories and some contact information later,  I parted ways with the libidinous star and was on my way home, walking down the Drive underneath the stars reflecting on the unpredictable night I had just had.  It's only been two nights and considering the experiences I have already had, I can't even begin to predict what is next.  When I first thought of this tour idea I knew it was going to be an adventure, but I would have never expected that this soon in I'd already be in awe of whats happened and whats to come.

I'm Carly June reporting from Vancouver.  Keep following along as I bring into the evenings of the tour, the unique experiences, and the stories of the musicians lingering beneath the industry's surface.  
     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment