Monday 24 June 2013

7 Days of Open Mic - Day 5: The Jimi Hendrix Shrine P.2

Obi 

The ear ringing buzz of electric guitar and gritty rasp of MG Graveyards front man Obi (or who I met more formally as Jeff)  kicked off what was about to become a night to remember (so cliché).  Behind him was blonde bad ass lead guitarist Jess Goldstein, bassist Dio and drummer Kevin.  This was the first time I had seen the band play and they definitely got the show on the road by bringing out the rock and roll edge I'm sure everyone had been waiting for all night.  What had been the quaint Jimi Hendrix Shrine only a few short hours ago, had been transformed into a rock-rageous venue hardly suitable for the roughly fifty people in attendance, all thanks to MG setting the mood of gritty rock and roll.


Jess Goldstein
Prior to this, I had the chance to talk to the always good humoured and personable Jeff Konoby throughout the day, learning about his industry and career experiences, as well as some of the bands history.  He is one of the many individuals I have had the wonderful opportunity of meeting and to share stories with, but one thing that Jeff had mentioined, which has resonated with me, was "everybody can sing, you just have to find your sound.  My band found me and my voice and they had a sound for it".  This statement couldn't have been more true because what separates MG from the pack isn't only their female lead guitarist, or delicious bottom end, but the growling vocals of Obi himself.  A unique rock sound for any adventurous listener, MG Graveyard is worth checking out, so go on and click here.

Though I wasn't familiar with the band before this encounter, interestingly enough, after the retelling of my evening to friend and bassist Devin Turner, he informed that his band Liars and Lions had shared the stage with MG Graveyard once before - what a small world. 

The bar had been set by this opening act I must say, but there was still plenty of excitement to come.


Next was The Walls, a Vancouver based power house trio.   I also had the chance to chat with the bassist Grey Gardener- a rather intriguing and calmly mannered individual.  Swapping back and fourth small conversation from music, to industry, and random points of interest, one humorous topic that came up was the obvious sound equipment over kill.  Surrounding the front of the 12' x 12' room was two PA speakers and four decent sized amps - one a classic white Marshall stack (which Grey confessed that if his lead singer turned it past three, there were going to be some consequences) and a Peavey "bedroom hero edition" bass amp as Grey referred to it, which I could tell he felt wouldn't rock hard enough.  

Now before I go on any further about the music (the whole reason for this story!), you must be wondering why I spend so much time and detail retelling what may be seen as irrelevant encounters; well  here is why.  As a fan I feel a stronger connection with a band if I have some level of personal relationship.  Its like I want to see them play well, do well, and achieve whatever level of success they are reaching for.  Taking not only the time but the opportunity to meet various musicians makes me a more supportive fan, and think that this evening and the Shrine was a great example of that.  Bands and artists want to develop a genuine fan base, and by connecting not only through their music, but as people too, I feel can seriously contribute to that accomplishment.

But enough of my heartfelt kiss ass words, lets get back to the action... 


Grey Gardener
I must say that the bedroom hero amp was just enough to keep the party going; the band brought in a choppy gypsy punk, house rockin' sound and managed to maintain the only all "female audience of the night" as lead singer Kerry Hirsch proudly exclaimed before the kick off of the set.  Definitely a sound unique to its own and the night for that matter, these guys kept the ball rollin' as the beers kept pouring, and the tunes kept comin'.  But there was still one more performance to take place, and it was what I had been here waiting for all along.  The Walls closed out their set, and as Hirsch handed off the centre stage to Mattaeyus Moon (whom, I can only best describe as rock star late), Hirsch so graciously pressed his sweaty forehead upon mine and many others; which I am assuming is a way to share your pride or simply your sweat if you are into that.  Regardless it was just as empowering as it was obnoxious- but I lovin' every minute of it.

By this time, the distinct hint of spilled beer and sweat masked the thick smell of incense within the small space truly transforming the whole environment and bringing it back to its retro jam space vibe.  And gearing up next was Paul Barnetson and Mattaeyus Moon, the hard rock duo I just can't seem to get enough of!  For two young guys among a room of what you could consider musical connoisseurs, they sure brought a whole lot of attitude to the Shrine that night.  Moon was a true front man grabbing the audience by storm with his undeniable Robert Plant-esque swagger, and despite Barnetson's soft hearted acoustic side from earlier in the night, he sure knew how to kill the kit when given the proper opportunity. 


Paul Barnetson


These two together create a lethal combination of the traditional elements of rock but also adding new age edge, which I believe captivated the raging crowd packed into the memorial that night.  But what completely sold me was, and stole my heart, was their spicy rendition of Led Zeppelin's Since I've Been Lovin' You - which I witnessed at my first visit to the Libra room only a short two weeks ago, and I have been lovin' it ever since.  Maybe I am bias or totally know what I am talking about, but these two charmers deserve to be on the rise within the industry, bringing a sound and an image which I believe Canadian music seriously lacks.  Young and on the run, when Moon and Barnetson share the stage you know its going to be a show. 


Mattaeyus Moon
The music had come to a close, and unfortunately I didn't stick around for the after party, but just long enough to say my thank you's and good byes.  There was plenty of hugs, laughs, and sweat all around as I left the Jimi Hendrix Shrine that night, along with memories and stories shared with many unique individuals I never thought I would have had the pleasure of sharing.  

When I started the open mic tour one short but busy week ago, I would have never expected to meet the people I did or have the experiences I had.  I can honestly say that I genuinely appreciate the opportunities given to me throughout the last few days and I am excited to follow all of these musicians on their road to whatever stardom they search for, and hopefully I can provide the resources, or at least encouragement and support to help them along the way.
Mattaeyus Moon, Paul Barnetson

Though there are still two open mic nights to be explored before the tour comes to a close, I know this will be a hard night to top.  Thank you to the amazing people and what I hope I can consider as new friends for a rockin' good experience, I can't wait to see your faces in the bright lights once again.




From my basement living room, this is Carly June
You're all stars, simply shoot for the Moon.


For more photos from the night, check out www.facebook.com/SickMindProductions 

No comments:

Post a Comment