Thursday 20 June 2013

7 Days of Open Mic- Day 3: Fairview Pub

Fighting fatigue and the silent whispers of my beloved bed, I made a spur of the moment decision for a destination relocation last night from the anticipated Rowan's Roof open mic to the Fairview Pub on West Broadway.  As I have said already so many times before, this open mic tour has certainly has been full of surprises, but when I walked into the almost completely empty cabaret, I think the expression on my face said it all.

Danny, Patrick
Amongst the empty tables was one friendly face, which I then met as Danny - whom warmly greeted me with a totally rad guitar pick business card.  Now I must say, even I am surprised I stuck around for what I thought would be an uneventful night, but I was pleasantly proven wrong.  Even due to the small hand full of an audience in the back corner and miminal performers, Patrick Jacobson, the coordinator for the open mic at Fairview Pub on Wednesdays, and friend Danny Echo knew they had to take it upon themselves to really make something out of nothing.  Shortly after I sat down, the two casually took to the stage and the open mic was underway.

The Fairview Pub is a typical neighborhood cabaret; it has its own scene of frequent local visitors and the decor says it all.  Walking in, the faint smell of stale beer lingers in the air, rich wood furniture and mirror accents create the space along with the essential pool tables and dusty velvet curtain stage - so this is what the 80's was like.  All I could think was that this is the perfect time and place to forget about your current or past heartbreak.  In a sense the whole experience was reminiscent of a pub from back home, and as I came to this realization the next song to ring from the stage was Guns n' Roses "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" - an instant flashback to my childhood memories of my mom's alter Axel Rose ego.  And even though there wasn't the crowd or roster of musicians most open mics are known for, I already felt like I was in for a treat despite my prior assumptions.

I've always had a soft spot for classic rock and this is exactly what I got.  Patrick and Danny being the two enthusiastic and personable individuals that they are, transformed a room lacking energy into a low key late night hangout full of great tunes and understated humor; remissnessant of Owens and Mandy at Mr.Brownstone, it was a night of good vibes and welcoming friends, even random fun drunk people.

Danny, Patrick, Fun Drunk Guy
Mid set, and what I later learned was a local and regular visitor, an older guy came barging through the door and straight to the stage to obnoxiously cheer on the two performers amongst the audience of roughly eight.  So now here I am giggling to myself because of course this whole scenario is rolling out in front of me - local regular guy comes into the bar clearly intoxicated and well known by all, then peruses to add his drunken commentary and table drumming, even requesting to hear Cindy Lauper. But that wasn't it.  Staggering back up to the stage he decides he wants to help play the guitar, but that's not enough, he wants to get on stage and even better- he plans to perform. 

Danny, Patrick, Fun Drunk Guy
I was apprehensive I must say, especially when one of the first things he said was "I'm nine and a half" and clearly this man is in his fifties (or maybe late 40s).  Well to my surprise "the random drunk guy" can actually play guitar exceptionally well, but then again he couldn't seem to finish a whole song.  To add to the already unbelievable stereotype before me, his performance closed out with a song about an ex wife of his- the perfect place to get over a broken heart- I knew I was onto something here.  All in all I give him an A for effort; high five sir, you did your best!  And as he made his way out for the night, he left with his flawless good bye- "thanks for letting me f*** around and get drunk".  At this point I felt like the wait was worth it, but the night still had some surprises.  

The evening progressed with a young southern gentlemen by the name of Casey on guitar twangin' the country classics including Garth Brooks "Friends in Low Places" followed by an original which I can't tell you what the title is if I tried, but the magnificently written course went like this: "buzzed like a barber shop, high like a mountain top, trashed like a garbage can, and tanked like an army man, I just want to be drunk".  Even though I am the farthest thing from a country music fan, I could appreciate this man's lyrical genius.  This is exactly what this night needed, some good ol' drinkin' tunes; but wait there is more.

Just when I thought the excitement was over, another regular by the name of Ibrahim I do believe, entered the room, and this I can admit was the first live comedy I have ever seen.

I am told that this kind hearted funny guy has been testing out his material at the Fairview for quite sometime.  Honestly the attitude is there I have to agree, the jokes... well they need some work still, but are none the less comical and laughable.  Cute but definitely amateur, Ibrahim's set consisted of:

"I was watching sponge bob the other day and it made me think, if people see stars when they hit their head, then what to starfish see- People, star people?"

or even

"How do you get class clown in clown college? You must have big shoes to fill!"

All in all the night that I thought would train wreck turned out to be a humble and genuine Wednesday night hangout with great people and humorous entertainment.  Along with the laughs, I did learn a few things from this experience about being an artist in this situation, or even a host.

Danny, Patrick
No matter the situation the show must go on, and Patrick and Danny did just that.  Whether there are eight or eighty people before you, you've still go to go out and perform and make a show out of it.  I believe it takes a good amount of courage and confidence to engage a next to no audience versus a crowd.  Obviously the energy of more people enhances the performance and what you are willing to provide as a performer, but if you can be an artist and captivate and entertain an audience this small in an environment clearly not in your favor, I think is truly proves yourself and how you connect with your fans.  Looking back I think this is one of the main reasons that caused me to stick around, not only to support, but to admire the diligence of creating a good night for the few that were there.

By the end of the night the mood had picked up and the bar had gained some bustle within its doors.  This night wasn't as much about the variety of artists, but the variety that the few artists provided which, I would say, created a more personal down to earth experience introducing me to a side of an open mic I hadn't experienced yet.  Though I am sure I could have found a venue with a more upbeat and rewarding evening of music, I don't regret my decision one bit.  I had an evening of iconic music and hilarity that I would have never had in a packed house of people more interested in whats on their plate than whats on stage. 

Danny
I am sure that hearing about the poor turn out at Fairview is the exact opposite of what anyone would want hear, but I was reassured that I happened to pick an off night, and understandably this kind of thing happens with open mic nights from time to time.  Regardless it was still a successful experience, and I think I will have to go back next week to really see what goes down at the Fairview on Wednesdays.  If you are looking for a hometown hangout this is the place, especially when Patrick and Danny are in the building - hilarity ensues.

Until next time, keep it classy friends.  The next location is Cafe Du Soleils which I have had heard many great things about and I can't even imagine what must be in store.

From friends to empty rooms, whats next I haven't got a clue; what I do know is that I'm on the search for something new.

- Carly June

No comments:

Post a Comment